top of page
Mattapoisett Places Remembered
More Points of Interest
Mattapoisett's coastline was once dotted with saltworks. This painting by George E. Errington depicts similar industry on Buzzard's Bay.
The saltworks model that now resides in the museum was built in 1932 by Ellis Mendell. It has been displayed in several parades since.
Charles Atsatt (pictured) delivered water to locations in Mattapoisett, Fairhaven, and New Bedford from this spring, known as King Philip's or Crystal Spring.
Newspaper advertisement for the King Philip Crystal Spring Water Co., operated by the Atsatt family.
A crate once used to deliver water from the King Philip Spring.
This factory on the corner of Pearl and Hammond Streets was one of the first businesses to employ local people after the demise of the shipbuilding industry in the 1860s. It was originally operated by the Atsatt Bros. to manufacture peanut roasters and other items.